Rapid Turnaround, Competitive Prices
Requesting A Quote From Us
All quote requests can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, please attach all relevant data and be aware of the below recommendations.
Although only a BOM and a PCB description are necessary for a quote we advise customers to take note of the below manufacturing requirements:
Note that should you be unable to supply any of the below data Microtronix can generate certain files manually; however this may cause possible delays and incur costs. Where all of the required manufacturing data is provided a better quality PCB can be delivered more efficiently and timeously.
Microtronix offers customers the advantage of letting us order your PCBs, this allows us to panelise boards to our machine specifications. However should you wish to source your own PCBs it is important to communicate the following to your PCB designer and the PCB manufacturer:
- Fiducial marks are required for the automated placement of all SMT components. They are used as reference points by Auto placement machines to establish XY coordinates for accurate component placement. There must be 2 fiducials placed diagonally opposite each other (on two diagonal corners of the PCB if possible).
- Fiducials should be created as a seperate part in the component library, it will then appear in the pick and place data with a reference and XY coordinates. (See Manufacturing Data). Fiducials must be round and with a diameter of 1.5mm with a clear area of 2mm around each fiducial.
- Panel requirements:
• Optimum panel size (preferred): 150mm x 250mm including Break off areas;
• Maximum panel size: 270mm x 320mm including Break off areas (we can accommodate this larger size in special cases but it may lead to sub-optimal process controls).
- Tooling strips are the break-off areas to hold the PCB on the automated conveyers throughout our factory. Break-off width must be a minimum of 10mm from the edge of the board and must run along the longest edge of the PCB.
- The PCB must have tooling holes to secure it to certain work tables whilst being populated. The hole size and position must be: Hole size: 4.0mm; Location: All 4 corners of PCB with centre of hole 5mm from both edges.
- The tooling hole is situated in the break-off area on the edges of the PCB and will normally be done automatically by the PCB manufacturer.
Note: When using local PCB manufacturers inform them that the PCB’s are going to Microtronix for manufacturing and they will be produced correctly with tooling strips and tooling holes.
The below files are essential to a successful production run and are available from the PCB designer. Note that the below is the bare minimum required for manufacturing, other files such assembly instructions, schematic diagrams and testing procedures are greatly appreciated and are a great aid to the production process but may not necessarily be required.
XY Data / Pick and Place Data (Required for all SMD boards)
This file gives the placement position of each part. It is normally a TXT or CSV file which is generated by the PCBCAD layout package.
This data can be either in Imperial or Metric format although Metric is preferred.
Coordinates must point to the gravitational centre of the part this is the point at which the SMD machine will place the component. i.e. The component reference should be in the centre of the part.
B.O.M. (Bill of Materials)
The Bill of Material should have as much information as possible and must be provided in an editable format (preferably in a spreadsheet format). The following data is required:
- Reference Designators. e.g. R1, R2, C1 etc.
- Part description and value. e.g. Capacitor 100nF 50V 20%.
- Part footprint/shape. e.g. 0805, SOIC8, SOT-23 etc.
- Component manufacturer and/or part number (when specific part required).
- Preferred vendor and part number (when specific parts are required).
PCB Overlays, Silk-screens and/or Assembly drawings
These are primarily used for board, placement and orientation verification. A good overlay should show the following:
- A general physical shape profile and/or footprint of each component.
- Circuit reference number (designator).
- Polarity, orientation or “pin 1” mark for parts (where applicable).
Silk Screens should be supplied in PDF format, however Gerber files containing detailed silk-screen layers are also acceptable.
It is highly recommended that customers allow Microtronix to handle stencil orders; this ensures that the stencil is compatible with our automated solder print machines and gives the best possible solder quality. In order to get a stencil cut we require the panelised solder paste file from the PCB manufacturers. Should you already have a stencil or still wish to source your own please be aware of following:
• All stencils must be for the panel and not the individual PCB;
• Unframed, small stretch stencils are only acceptable for pre-production and/or prototype runs and are for hand screening only.;
• Zelflex stretch stencils are recommended for low to medium volume production runs, they can be used for both machine and hand screening however they have a limited life span;
• Framed Pre-stretched stencils are recommended for medium to high volume productions and can only be screened automatically.